Tuesday, April 3, 2007

And so, it begins!

The idea of Three Wide was conceived a few months ago. I proposed the idea to the other two members of this blog and received agreement that we could indeed 'do' this! I then created the blog site, not knowing that all of the lurkers and watchers were immediately prepared to raise their hackles and point fingers before we even started. (To understand, read on to catch up on the background!)

At any rate, we are three folks who, at one time, did not like each other. Actually, we did not like what the other wrote. However, when facts are presented, rational thinkers are forced to examine their arguments and check for validity. We then found that there was some common ground, and then it became more and more likely that we could have great discussions.

Here is the introduction of the blogger known as High Groover:

  • Beatin, Bangin, Rivalry & Competition -- Oh, and then some stuff about racing!

    Those who’ve read my internet offerings over the last year or so know that I’m as much a fan of humanity as I am a fan of racing. Human nature can often be viewed as a spectator (and participatory) sport! The internet provides us with a means of relationship building – and those relationships take on lives of their own (some fruitful and worthwhile, and some not)!

    Back in the not too distant past, I engaged VERY unwittingly in a flaming online battle with a particular blogger and his allies who had the unmitigated audacity to post some wicked satire about my favorite driver! Fur flew, alliances formed, fingers pointed and sides were taken. Battles were waged across several message boards and legends were born!

    Funny, but I’ve found that the more vehemently I disagree with someone’s ideas – the more likely it is that a kernel of truth exists somewhere in their words. Early in the fray, I recognized that my opponent (while quite opinionated), was in possession of a WEALTH of NASCAR knowledge! “What a shame!” I thought, that this individual (a rare soul who can explain technical issues in lay terms and has seen firsthand the career history of my favorite driver), exists as an island among the disenfranchised Sadler fans – may of whom are crying in the wilderness for REAL racing knowledge!

    I’m well versed in the apparent “hotness” of my driver! I need no further enlightenment regarding the “cuteness” of his posterior. He’s young enough to be my kid! What I REALLY want learn is more about the technical issues, the business issues, and the performance issues that affect his team! As much as I enjoy my Fan Club and related message boards, they’re not always educational tools and “damaged relationships” always seem to take precedence over competent teaching. Alas, I had found a “mentor” – but he had royally ticked me off!!!

    To make a long story short – we somehow managed to bury the hatchet (and not in anyone’s head) and found that we could get along online without compromising our fierce loyalties. We agree more than we disagree, but don’t worry – we still butt heads now and then. This weekend Dave and I had the delightful opportunity to attend the Texas Racefest with Phil (yes folks – THAT Phil!) and his lovely wife, Jenell. I’m pleased to report that all went well (until he abandoned us after hijacking a golfcart and burned our lunch).


See the rest of her blog, with some wonderful descriptions of Texas Race Fest, by clicking on the hot link above!

Now here is a not-so-brief bio of Snafam (yep, that would be me!)

  • SNAFAM! Supreme NAscar FAnatic Merri. A nickname given to me by my husband, after I demanded he awaken extra early, drive 4 hours, and wait for 6 hours for the race to start. Luckily our driver won, which made it much better!

    Hubby has since retreated into defensive mode, and is now a World of Warcraft addict. It actually works out well, as he is busy gaming while I am busy with all else NASCAR related. It IS rather disconcerting to see that he looks so much like his character, or is it that his character looks like him?

    I began my career as SNAFAM-in-training when a company that was also a NASCAR sponsor employed me. I met one very nice driver, then the next year the company sponsored another very nice driver. At first I watched the Cup races, then I added in the Busch races. Wow, there was a Fall NCTS race in our area, so I started watching those races to become better informed before we attended that race. Soon, while searching for more information on the internet, I discovered Jayski, Catchfence, and other news sites. THEN, the discovery of a message board for my driver’s fan club tilted my psyche over the edge, plummeting me into SNAFAM heaven!

    I am the fan that Big Bill France envisioned years ago. I collect all souvenirs of my driver(s). My closet is filled with clothing that shouts to the world that I am a NASCAR fan. My shopping habits are based on NASCAR sponsorship. I buy every NASCAR related book currently available, and some that are now out of print. My instant messenger list is 10% relatives, and the rest NASCAR related. I belong to several message boards, and have joined the world of NASCAR blogs. All technology in our house was brought in purely to enhance the NASCAR experience. (Computers to run Trackpass and a chat room during race day, HDTV to enhance the viewing, and of course DVR, so that I may replay that crash to find out if it was REALLY a racing deal!)

    Formerly a moderator on the message board of my favorite driver, I helped to monitor the board with the goal to keep it as clean and controversy free as possible. There were always a few who loved to ‘stir it up’ and one of them was most disconcerting. I did find myself stopping to read WHAT he said, even if it was a negative comment about our driver. He was a fan of the driver since the early days, and I was always afraid of what he would type next, as it was sure to cause some anxiety for someone on the forum. His blogs have continued in that great tradition. That would be the infamous Phil, also known as Okla21fan.

    The Forum changed management, and I downgraded myself to become a simple member. The new moderators seemed to be most interested in the activities of my former nemesis, and I found myself siding with him, when they would try and refute his research. One of them was especially well spoken (if a bit overly gung-ho) about topics that reflected her adulation of the driver. However, something sarcastic I posted one day struck her as amusing, and she emailed me to tell me we wished we could have met under other circumstances.

    So, here are those other circumstances. We found much common ground, and we have agreed to disagree on the subject of her favorite driver!
  • As far as Okla21Fan, aka Phil, you should head right on over to his blog One Lugnut Short, and spend a few hours or days catching up. While you are there, check out his description of Thunderhill Raceway. Okla21fan and High Groover had a meeting there, and he has nothing but good things to say about the facility and the program.

    He has been a long time fan of NASCAR and is so very observant of the sport that you cannot help but stop and listen occasionally! You may not like what he has to say, but what he does say has merit, and is quite often heavily based on research. I can guarantee, contrary to the opinions on several non-official fan forums, he is not an idiot, he is not a moron, and is not deprived of friends or happiness. He has a life, and he is happily married. And, he will continue to question anything that piques his interest! I can guarantee that he questions much, even if the questioning goes against the popular opinion! He has indeed gained status close to legendary, because he is cited on many boards where he no longer posts! He is much discussed, yet many folks choose to argue against him on boards that are private and where he cannot answer. Yes, quite often the entertainment level requires the consumption of popcorn!

    We were hoping to have his bio but for some reason he does not like to talk about himself very much! Rest assured, that when we get going, he would not find it difficult to provide his opinion!
Three adversaries, with the potential to be three friends. If we can ever agree on a subject, you will read three opinions. I feel sure, though, there will be some ‘beating and ‘banging’ to the Checkered Flag!

No comments: